Birthday on Wed 24 Sep, 2014
Birthday on Sat 27 Sep, 2014
Main Forum

Response to Bogeyman's Kony 2012 Thread

5 replies
76 posts
MC Operator
Donated
Bogey, i thought this may have been slightly too long to post in the comments section, but I saw this article the other day and it read as below. If you can't be bothered to read it all, its pretty much backing bogey that Joseph Kony is obviously a bad fellow, but there are far more important things join on in the world, and there are better ways of going about things. Im not saying Kony isn't important, but on a scale of world crisis', Kony isn't at the top. Please read below for more.

Over the past week, a video called “Kony 2012” has garnered tens of millions of views, and generated startling levels of awareness about what seems like a relatively obscure topic, a humanitarian crisis in Central Africa. Unfortunately, millions of Americans have been confused or deceived by the video.

An uninformed viewer of the video, produced by a group called Invisible Children, is left with the impression that, in Uganda, there is a rebel leader named Joseph Kony with an army of 30,000 children, who is displacing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of refugees, in one of the world’s great humanitarian disasters. Further, no one knows about this, and if we apply enough pressure and raise enough awareness around the world, Joseph Kony can be stopped.

All of those things are either untrue or no longer accurate. Most important: The crisis isn’t anything like the video portrays, and there’s nothing one can do that hasn’t already been suggested and pursued.

Joseph Kony is a murderous madman and has committed humanitarian atrocities on a shocking scale, but he doesn’t head a rebel group with a political grievance (and never really did), but instead heads a dwindling criminal faction of several hundred armed guerillas. In the early 2000s, his crimes did in fact cause the internal displacement of more than 2 million Ugandans, but thanks to the efforts of the Ugandan military, he has since been forced out of the country, into the rural areas at the intersection of the Central African Republic, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This fact is mentioned about halfway through the video, in passing, as if it is of little significance — but most viewers have come away convinced that the problem we should be worried about is in Uganda. It’s not (though the Ugandan military is still involved).

More important, the humanitarian crisis hasn’t simply shifted from Uganda to elsewhere; in Central Africa, Kony is still killing people, and he should be stopped, but he is inflicting nowhere near the suffering he once caused. In the past year, according to Invisible Children’s own website, the LRA has been responsible for 98 civilian deaths and 477 abductions. Tragic, but not earth shattering. Just as important, while the LRA is still active enough to contribute to the region’s instability, it isn’t displacing truly significant amounts of people (the original concern in Uganda).

In just the past year, off the top of my head, Bashar Assad, al-Qaeda in Iraq, the Taliban, Moammar Qaddafi, the Nigerian group Boko Haram, any of the Mexican drug cartels, and Sudan’s Omar Bashir have each caused far more civilian suffering and death than Joseph Kony and the LRA have. It’s counterproductive for humanitarianism in general that millions have come away from this video thinking that it’s one of the world’s worst crises.
Nx3An.png
Posted Mar 15, 12 · OP
0  Points
Elder
Donated
OaosO.jpg
Posted Mar 16, 12
+2  Points
+14 Points
Admins
Elder
SWTOR GM
NICK! For teh TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

But seriously, the whole thing's blown out of proportion, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.
mgSBd.png
Posted Mar 16, 12
+1  Points
MC Operator
Donated
As I said in my post, I don't think it should be ignored, yet I agree with you purge, it's blown out of proportion. The only thing I'm saying is that it's pretty much just causing a total uprising and catastrophe over a very small humanitarian problem, as I said, all we need for this is a seals team, a few helicopters, and a few hours at night, and the whole 'Kony' thing will be over.
76561198007277272.png

It doesn't matter if I did it if no one caught me.
Posted Mar 20, 12
0  Points
656 posts
+14 Points
Admins
Elder
SWTOR GM
According to a video uno posted, supposedly from Anon, kony's been dead since '06.
mgSBd.png
Posted Mar 20, 12
0  Points
241 posts
MC Operator
Donated
yes, a large amount of people think (or suspect in a joking manner) that this is true. My friend said "I bet when they get clearance to kill him they'll find out he's been dead for years". I'm not saying I personally think he is, but who am I to know?
76561198007277272.png

It doesn't matter if I did it if no one caught me.
Posted Mar 21, 12
0  Points
Announcement of